1980 Land Rover Series 3 – Expedition-Ready ($10,500)
If you are contemplating a trans-continental overland expedition, this post is for you!
We are offering for sale a Land Rover Series III 1980 (right-hand drive, 4-speed manual, 2.25l engine).
We acquired and built out this vehicle for an expedition from South Africa to London. The trip came to a close recently and we are looking for a future home for our trusty Landy.
The vehicle is fully kitted out for an overland trip anywhere in the world for 4 people. And when we say fully, we mean it – from the rooftop tents to the silverware and spare parts. After all, we just used it to cross 25,000km across Africa.
Here are some of the things that are included:
- Roof rack
- 2 roof top tents (comfortably fit 2 people each; mattresses included)
- 2 additional fuel tanks (70 liters each; for a total capacity of 220 liters)
- 80l Engel fridge/freezer
- Custom built shelving and drawers system + 9 storage containers
- Dual Battery System (1 reg. car battery; 1 deep-cycle battery to power the fridge)
- 50 Watt solar panel
- 800 Watt inverter
- 4 jerry cans for water (100 liters total)
- 2-burner stove and 3kg gas bottle
- Camping table and chairs
- All of the cooking utensils (pots, pans, etc.) and cutlery you’ll need
- 2 hydraulic jacks
- 2 spare tires
- 2 sand ladders
- Complete recovery kit
- Garmin GPS with worldwide street level maps
- Custom-made side awning (to provide much-needed shade in the sun)
- Solar shower
- All of the tools you will need (from screwdrivers to tow rope)
- Majority of the spare parts that you’ll need (we got one of pretty much everything as a spare before we left). The little things add up!
- Reconditioned motor with 110,000km
- Improved suspension for the extra weight
- 4 brand-new Pirelli tires installed in Dar es Salaam in June
All in all, the vehicle will be ready to go wherever you want to take it! Please note that the vehicle is registered in South Africa, so the ideal scenario is if you are planning to do a trip from UK to Africa yourself, as it will make the paperwork much easier (no need to import to UK).
- http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g470/wegoingup/ – photos of the vehicle
- https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsEAOPgtEJsldEJFY2xOV0czaGhRbzJwc1J6TkYwUnc&hl=en_US – list of accessories and add-ons
- http://www.wegoingup.com – the blog from our trip and more pictures of the car in action